The total authorized strength of this TO&E was 19,385.
On 8 August 1917, the 1st Division adopted the Square Table of Organization and Equipment, which included two organic infantry brigades of two infantry regiments each; one engineer regiment; one signal battalion; one machine gun battalion; one field artillery brigade of three field artillery regiments, and a complete division train.
The total authorized strength of this new TO&E was 27,120 officers and enlisted men.
To the division's front lay the small village of Cantigny, situated on the high ground overlooking a forested countryside.
The 28th Infantry Regiment Soissons was taken by the First Division in July 1918.
It then moved to the Sabine Parish, Louisiana area on to participate in the Louisiana Maneuvers.
The division next relocated to Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn on 5 June 1940, where it spent over six months before moving to Fort Devens, Massachusetts, on 4 February 1941.
1st Infantry Division reorganized again on 1 November 1940 to a new TO&E, which added a reconnaissance troop, and organized the two field artillery regiments into a division artillery command, and beefed up the strength to a total authorized strength of 15,245 officers and enlisted men.
Shortly after the German invasion of Poland, beginning World War II in Europe, the 1st Infantry Division, under Major General Walter Short, was moved to Fort Benning, Georgia, on 19 November 1939 where it supported the U. Army Infantry School as part of American mobilization preparations.
The Soissons victory was costly – 700 men were killed or wounded.