For me this usually isn't an issue since I typically get all unprocessed tracks from clients that I'm mixing from the ground up anyways.
I played around a little and it looks like Reaper only plots the begining and end of the media Item to the grid, and ignore the tempo changes in between, giving a constant stretch across the whole piece. The way I found around this is to split the media items at the tempo markers to "tack" that point in the media item to that preticular Bar in the piece. There is a setting yo can access by right clicking the tmpo markers that is something along the lines of (gradually change tmepo to next marker," that does this.
It's intended to give a clicked accelerando/deccelerando before tracking, but it ay line up with what you have if your tempo changes are smooth.
However, if I insert new or alter existing tempo change markers, the existing audio is not time-stretched to fit.
Also simply changing the play-rate via the rate slider doesn't preserve audio pitch Can I configure REAPER to time-stretch existing audio to fit changed tempos preserving pitch and to preserve audio pitch on changed play rate?
What I've gathered is that you're trying to get audio to stretch/shrink with changes to the tempo map, at the map points (ie, only stretch the audio past the changed tempo marker, but leave the audio before it untouched). I guess so - normal people would figure out the tempo they wanted before they start recording rather than afterwards :) Just had a brain wave - turns out I can get reasonable results in REAPER by slicing all the audio items on beat boundaries then altering the tempo map.
I played around a little and it looks like Reaper only plots the begining and end of the media Item to the grid, and ignore the tempo changes in between, giving a constant stretch across the whole piece. The way I found around this is to split the media items at the tempo markers to "tack" that point in the media item to that preticular Bar in the piece. REAPER anchors the starts and finishes of each beat-long clip and the clips move/stretch correctly depending on the tempo changes - this keeps the error due to linear timestretch much lower.However, if REAPER *doesn't* support this, I don't understand what the timebase settings on audio tracks and media items are for. It turns out that what REAPER is doing is simply linearly stretching the audio in each item to fit on the correct timespan on the time-line - the same time stretch factor is applied equally along the length of the item, which is incorrect if the tempo changes within the item (which is does all throughout the track I'm working on) Instead the time-stretch applied should vary along the length of the audio items to reflect the actual tempo difference at each point in the item (basically it needs to vary the time-stretch factor on a sample-by-sample basis based on the differential of the recorded tempo and the current tempo map at each sample - this would be possible but probably not straightforward to implement) I'll just re-record the audio.-- Not Relevant Sorry about that first post, clearly I had not read your post very well. I am 99% sure there is no such algorhythm in REAPER or in other DAW software except of perhaps Cubase available.Subscribe to Wink Sound: Watch more Pro Tools video tutorials here: This video tutorial explains how to consolidate the multiple audio and MIDI regions within your Pro Tools 8 session into a single audio file.Keep up to date with the latest tutorials from Wink Sound by following our feeds: You Tube – – Facebook – – blog. thanks for your question.- This project has an existing quite complex tempo map (slows down in verses, speeds up in choruses with an overall gradual increase in tempo towards the end.